Most of us have probably heard of this book. Some of you have been told its a good pregnancy book, but you have not bothered to look it up or obtain it. And if you have not heard of it, I will tell you about it here. Its called What to Expect When You're Expecting.
Its the single best book to have while pregnant, especially for first time moms who aren't sure if ANY of the changes going on with them are normal or not. Its very reassuring an well written without glossing over the real problems that can occur.
Also, it does NOT just go through and group first second and third trimester together as many books do. It goes through, in-depth, each month, and also goes on to describe and explain MANY other things, even so far as after baby is born, issues you might be wondering about or worried about with your newborn.
One of the best things its does is not just give you a list of what to watch out for, but it tells you exactly what it might be if you have these symptoms, whether they are normal or abnormal. You don't have to read the whole book, but its like an encyclopedia, you open it to the place that tells you about what you want to know at the moment. (Though I admit with my first pregnancy I did pretty much read it front to back)
It has a labor and delivery chapter I was especially dependent on, as that was by far my biggest anxiety problem in my first pregnancy, not knowing what all was going to happen, and if it was really going to be so awful (no it wasn't so awful, even with complications).
There is also a website based on the book called What to Expect, here's the link if you want to check that out: www.whattoexpect.com
Other titles in the same series:
- What to Eat When You're Expecting (1986) (I have this one)
- What to Expect: The First Year (1989) ( I have this one, too)
- What to Expect: The Toddler Years (1994)
- What to Expect at Bedtime (2000)
- What to Expect When the New Baby Comes Home (2001)
- What to Expect: Pregnancy Planner (2002)
- What to Expect: Babysitter's Handbook (2003)
- What to Expect at Preschool (2003)
- What to Expect When Mommy's Having a Baby (2004)
- What to Expect: Eating Well When You're Expecting (2005; follow-up to What to Eat When You're Expecting)
- What to Expect: Pregnancy Journal & Organizer (2007)
- What to Expect Before You're Expecting (2009)
- What to Expect: the Second Year (2011)